With its 10th year anniversary, the European Law Institute (ELI) invites you to join a free webinar entitled ‘ELI at 10: Rescue of Business in Europe – the Impacts of ELI’s Work’. The webinar will take place on 15 July 2021 from 18:30–19:45 (CET). You can join us via https://bit.ly/3waE5JJ. As a co-reporter of the ELI study I can refer for related documents to https://bobwessels.nl/blog/2021-05-doc1-impact-of-restructuring-reseach/
With 115 100 recommendations, the ELI Rescue of Business in Insolvency Law report has significant impact on the legal landscape of late. European and national legislators have used it for legislative proposals, the judiciary all over Europe have referred to it, and the project also influenced debates in academia and between insolvency practitioners and business restructuring specialists. Certainly, with a dramatic shift in insolvency regimes from liquidation to rescuing viable business for the strength of the economy, many issues remain open for debate.
Two of some of the most important topics will be discussed during this webinar. The first part of the webinar will debate the role and function of the debtor-in-possession (DIP) and will discuss questions such as to what extent the board of a company during a restructuring process should remain in charge of it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of it? The second part of the webinar will focus on the small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). With millions of those enterprises, should an individual restructuring process be customised to the special needs of SMEs, encouraging timely use of a flexible, less legal-formal framework? What are the alternatives?
Speakers – With these two topics, the ELI webinar will be deliberating present and future options in developing effective restructuring regimes in Europe. Confirmed Speakers include:
– Gert-Jan Boon (Researcher and Lecturer at the Department of Corporate Law, Leiden Law School, Project Team member of the ELI Project)
– Helene Bourbouloux (Lawyer, fhb), Paris
– My co-reporter Stephan Madaus (Professor, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg)
– Andres F. Martinez (Senior Financial Sector Specialist with the World Bank Group’s Finance, Competitiveness and Innovation Global Practice), Washington D.C.
– Irit Mevorach (Professor of International Commercial Law and Co-Director of the University of Nottingham Commercial Law Centre, Faculty of Social Sciences)
– Alexander Zadorozhny (Partner, Synum Attorneys at Law), Moscow
The webinar will also feature a 20 minutes Q&A session with ELI Members.
Looking forward meeting you!